Reflections

Part A: You, the Writer

Prior to this semester’s Creative Writing course, my identity as a writer – although developed – was scattered and no longer uniform. I could articulate thought in many forms of writing and prose, but none connected with me. Through experimentation and emulation, I tried many different styles, but instead of settling on one, I found myself giving up. From this, perhaps I lost confidence in my writing capabilities, and thus could not be bothered to try and redeem myself. The previous course of Creative Writing I had taken allowed me to find myself; however, as time went on and more demand was placed on me to find myself, I could only question my writing further.

However, as I took the course and began to write more and more, I was quick to localize a niche of writing that I found ease in. My poetic and flowery style that I previously found solace in being able to achieve was no longer as strong. Instead, I could write in an expository and narrative style with much ease and success. Today, I find that my identity remains true to this new revelation, and will mot definitely be useful in the career paths I wish (and may wish) to pursue.

Over the course of this class, there was been a large shift and development in my writing. For example, I used to find ease in fictional and poetic formats; now, I am more comfortable and familiar with non fiction prose writing. The idea I like to explore no longer revolve around fantasy or unrealistic concepts. I now now find that I generally talk about more human and mundane concepts that seem to be overlooked at times: the human condition, being one such idea. The details I now put in my writing  often revolve around description and thematic ideas relevant to the text I am working on. My structure is no longer poetic and abstract, but instead follows a formulaic and effective style that compliments my way of writing.  As for GUMPS, I tend to ensure that all rules are met and applied aptly, so that my writing may be coherent and understandable.

My voice is still ever present in my works, as often times a sardonic comment may be found written in. I find that humour is one of the most underrated types of writing. To continually write about dark and depressing things in the same serious tone is monotonous and drab. You merely state what’s happened and expect a reaction – only receiving a, “Oh my god that’s so sad.”  A laugh that can be caused by mere words on page is one worth laughing. We often times detach ourselves from our writing, removing the human behind the words. If one is to maintain a strong connection with their audience, I believe engagement through laughter is more than sufficient. After all, who doesn’t want to be entertained?

If I were to supply advice to any future writers wishing to pursue this course, it would to experiment. Only through experimentation of styles and themes may you truly find what it is you are passionate about. To write poetry without motivation would result in empty words. To write an article on a topic that you could care less about would result in a disservice to those who do.

My future goals regarding writing still relate to my former aspirations. I will continue to pursue literature and publication, as perhaps success may be found in these areas. However, that is not to say I will not pursue any other of my goals; writing will always be with me, however, perhaps not at the forefront of my priorities until I have settled down after being thrust into the wild world this summer.

Part B: You, the Blogger

My development as a blogger has come far, as I feel very confident in founding a blog of my own. Before this semester’s course, I did not feel confident enough to run one on my own. Now, however, I feel much more comfortable and confident in myself and my own blogging skills.

My current blog, though not perfect in any way, I believe to be a proper and needed stepping stone in my development as a writer. The style and the theme I used to design the blog, in my opinion, serve to show how much I have changed. I am not the same person as my previous, much darker blog, The Vault of Faults. Instead, Beyond Ozymandias acts as a guidepost for my own future. Ozymandias, his empire ancient and wiped out, demonstrates the very human legacy we all leave. We are but the words we leave behind. The sands, though arid and non-forgiving, show a horizon of light, and a future of unknown action. What I should improve on is post quality and quantity.

This blog, as well as the other one I started in previous years, will not be deleted. Instead, I plan on archiving both of them as cites I may return to look back on my writing identity. Perhaps in my spare time I will add onto them, but that has yet to be decided, as I will require to actually have time to write, and who is to say I will have that.

The writers and blogs that I will continue to follow include those who I have grown a friendship with throughout this course, and have also recognized them as strong, developing writers in their own regards. These blogs include:

Kaden – Well… This Happened

Tiana – Perdonare

Sam – It’s something…

Similar to last year, I have not pursued to follow any “professional” bloggers, as the term professional, in any regard, I believe to be rather idiotic. Professional as compared to what? Somebody who is different than you, who has faced certain adversities, and thus is not as successful as you are? Of course, my cynicism may only speak so much lest I offend the pros. Back to the question at hand, I do not pursue professionals, as I’d rather learn from the novices, as they provide a greater learning opportunity and how to not to blog. Thus, they grow as well, through experience and trial.

Part C: You the Student

Over the course of this course, I have had a few “Aha” moments. However, I would say that the most important one would have been my realization that writing is never a static thing. This means that our writing identity is always changing and shall never be one single identity. Throughout the course of our lives, we will develop and change along with our interests and how we perceive the world around us. Therefore, it is only natural that as I experience what life has to offer, I change as well. What I’ve also been able to learn is the importance of the anecdotes and the stories we tell, as at the end of the day that is all we are composed of: stories. The work that my class did with Bow View Manor brought about this revelation within me, and you can find my writing for this project here.

As a reader, I have found that sometimes quality is better than quantity. It is true that this semester I have not read many books or novels, and they have not been the longest of reads either. I would say that this is due to other obligations in science classes. However, the books that I have read have been higher level and harder-to-understand type reads. These have assisted in me in my analysis of literature, and I would say have helped me write my diploma for this grade. Due to my ability to analyze plot and characters, I can better understand the human condition and how these characters are just as human as we are despite their nonexistence. The best book I read this semester would have to be Julius Caesar, by William Shakespeare. Normally, I dislike Shakespeare and reading his plays ends in disaster. However, I believe that reading the play while also watching it live served to enhancing my artistic and creative expression.

As a writer, I have not accomplished much writing, but what I have found is another step towards understanding myself. My interests and abilities are always changing, and to find where my mind is in the course of one semester seems like quite a feat. What I plan to write next (besides diplomas) is really unknown at this point. Perhaps I will write another article on a pressing issue in our society.

If I could, I would take the course again, as I believe it really helps with an standard English class. However, seeing as how the English course I’m taking at university is the extent of what I could find, I suppose that will do. Hopefully this class will help me improve as a writer.

Part D: You, the Fan

For my Writer’s Seminar, I am very glad that I researched and presented George Orwell. Orwell is an author whose ideas and themes carry through into today’s world more than ever, seeing as how his dystopian society in 1984 has many modern implications. Another author I would have considered presenting would have been Shane Koyczan. His poetry holds much relevance to students and teenagers as we grow up and experience both the light and the dark.

The genres that have interested me the most would have to be historical fiction and Modernism. The former of these two is very important, as those who do not read or learn about the past are sure to repeat it. Modernism is a genre born out of the end of World War I, and I believe highlights the human condition and conflict very well. I do intend to read more from  George Orwell, as his essays are very well written and his voice would most certainly assist me in writing my own. To quote myself on what the author has taught me:

“What I’ve learnt from Orwell is how timeless the issue of political Big Brother is, seeing as how applicable it is to the current state of the U.S. What’s important as a writer is to question everything, and even then, not stop until you have all of the facts.in our writing we need to not be afraid to challenge the status quo, and to push forth questioning into shady government or authority actions, so that we may benefit our society. Without individual thought, we’d all be mindless slaves.”

The entire project, as well as my emulation to an excerpt from 1984, can be found here.

Three other writers that I enjoy reading from are:

Priyanka- Lueur

Priyanka has a unique voice and a well-needed input on matters of equality and egalitarianism.

Kaden – Well… This Happened

Kaden has a very unique poetic style that also carries over to his prose as his cynicism and wit engages his audience.

Matt – The Souls Now Speak

Matt’s poetry may come across as simple as he tends to use a rhyme scheme most of the time, but the themes and stories he shares are a lot heavier.

Part E: You, the Critic of Your Work

The first piece I’d like to critique would be Trump’s Climate Blunder.

The significance of this title is to immediately criticize and demonize the current U.S. President as to demonstrate the consequences of his mistake will be catastrophic. To summarize what this mistake is, as well as the piece as a whole in 17 words: Trump’s choice to leave the Paris Climate Accord will only hurt the world instead of help it. The audience of this piece is not anyone specific, as the burden of climate change and environmental impact falls on all of us. The purpose was to simply bring attention to the fact that instead of helping, we decide to make the world worse and ultimately kill our children and a future on this planet. What influenced my decision to write this piece was the news that seemed to skim over this as simply yet another dumb thing the POTUS has done. This is an issue that will impact generations to come. The style I took when writing this piece was one of non-fiction and similar to a journalistic approach. This is seen as I incorporate statistics and information into my argument in order to inform my audience. This is seen here:

“However, the World Bank estimates around 13.5 jobs would be created for every million dollars of spending in U.S. wind and solar infrastructure. In areas more focused on energy efficiency, 16.7 jobs would be created for every million dollars of spending. This is a stark contrast compared to the 5.2 jobs per $1 million for oil and natural gas, and also the 6.9 jobs per $1 million for coal.”

The process for writing this piece really only took one try for majority of it. I did find, however, that incorporating embedded links to studies and information makes it easier for an audience to access information and learn more about a situation. In doing so, I can further engage and inspire readers of my work. I was also sure to add my own input to the issue at the end of the piece, as to demonstrate that I am serious about what I have written:
“Seeing how far we’ve come since then, it’s not a matter of if, but a matter of when. When should we start taking our future, and the future of the world as we know it seriously? We may have to wait until 2020 to find out.”

The second piece I will critique will be Six Minutes.

The significance of this title is in the fact that the human brain, on average, may only survive without oxygen for about six minutes. To describe the story in 17 words: A young man named Scott has just died, and has only six minutes to recollect his life. The audience for this piece was meant to be anyone who enjoys flash fiction, as well as slight humour. The purpose was to take on a serious topic, such as death, and twist it so that the audience may find light in the fact that this young man, though dying, is still alive enough to share his human story. To answer the obvious question: no he is not a ghost. What influenced this piece, personally, was my recent reading of a Kurt Vonnegut piece. His humour and comic relief on issues that are serious is very engaging and relieving, as his words not only carry with them darkness, but also a comedic light. After all, all we can do is laugh at the end of the day. The style I mainly chose for this piece was to take on a first person narrator who also acts like a third person omniscient one:

“I know, I know, you’re probably like, “Scott, what the hell man?” Yeah I was too! You think I want to be on this cold metal bed while people in scrubs play around with my innards? Ew!”

The process of writing this piece took a while, as I had to find a way to make the character funny despite his current situation. Thus, I decided to make Scott in the same age range as many of us, as well as someone who has just started his job and university, something that many of us will be doing soon. Multiple times I went have and was wondering how to make each story somewhat relatable and engaging, my favorite being his coffee shop job:

“Most of the time I just like messing with people, because standing behind a counter while a 14 year old girl who thinks she’s better than you orders some ridiculous concoction.”

Feedback for this piece, I think, should be more exploration into his character and the three anecdotes he wants to share, as each of these feel rather short and almost rushed at times.

Overall, my last year of Creative Writing will be one that I won’t soon forget. I humbly thank Ms. Hunnisett for being patient and loving with each of us on our journey through the course, and helping me find myself as an writer, a blogger, a student, a fan, and a critic.

Skip to toolbar