Reading Ladder

September 2017

• The Book of Longing – Leonard Cohen. (240 pages)
  • The Ugly American – William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick. (240 pages)

Reading Rate = 16 pages per day.

Obviously, this is nowhere close to the place I wish to be in my reading. A measly 16 pages per day is almost laughable as an AP ELA student, and a writer. However, I believe that due to my information-heavy science courses in this semester, I am lacking an adequate amount of time in a night to read. The reading of novels and literature has been substituted for textbooks and notes, as I must review biology and chemistry on a regular basis, lest my marks in these courses begin to be affected negatively. Hopefully during the spooky month of October, the scary things won’t include a dainty ladder.

October 2017

• The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald. (182 pages)
  • Julius Caesar – William Shakespeare. (95 pages)
  • True at First Light – Ernest Hemingway (30 pages, NOT COMPLETE)

Reading Rate = 12 pages per day.

…..Well. So uhhhh…. Looks like I’ve done worse this month, but believe me, I have viable excuses! These excuses are really just Chemistry 30-1 and Biology 30-1 deciding to give me tests almost every week this month on some of the most overloaded concepts I have ever learnt. It sucks because I have a pile of books I want to read and it keeps getting larger cause I don’t have a lot of time. However, I am happy with the fact I got through a Shakespeare piece, as well as some other high level writing (even if I’ve read Gatsby like a million times before). Next month, lets hope for better time management and more pages read! Please…

November 2017

• The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck – Mark Manson (212 pages)
  • Death of a Salesman – Arthur Miller (136 pages)
  • True at First Light – Ernest Hemingway (30 more pages, NOT COMPLETE)
  • 1984 – George Orwell (66 pages, NOT COMPLETE)

Reading Rate = 14.8 pages per day.

So once again, despite my efforts I am below my goal of at least 20 pages per day. Whether that be procrastination or an influx or projects that distract me, there is no excuse. I am glad that I was able to read the self-help book that I listed, as the winter months usually bring about a melancholic atmosphere, and before the snow gets worse it’s good to learn how to let it all go. The second book listed is something that I will be talking about in my English class soon, so now that I’ve reread it I’ll be able to participate adequately. The other books are still in progress…..Next month, I’m hoping to have finished 1984, as well as True at First Light, and maybe even start a third book after those two are complete. I guess we’ll see what projects and tests are in store for me in December.

December 2017

• 1984 – George Orwell (254 pages, COMPLETE)
  • True at First Light – Ernest Hemingway (260 pages, COMPLETE)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ( 210 page, NOT COMPLETE)
  • A Man Without a Country – Kurt Vonnegut (145 pages)

Reading Rate = 28 pages per day

Well what do you know? I really brought my reading up this month! And not just a little amount. I really pushed myself to read and it paid off. I am proud of this number to end off my year with. It also helps because my reading will virtually be destroyed by the end of January, as Diploma studying take priority. I plan to continue reading Sherlock Holmes after all of these crazy tests are done, and I will once again be free to enjoy literature instead of Chemistry notes.